8 tablespoons butter, melted
1 cup brown sugar
1 teaspoon vanilla
1/4 tsp baking soda
1 cup flour
Butter an 8×8 pan and line with parchment
Mix melted butter with brown sugar – beat until smooth. Beat in egg and then vanilla.
Add salt, soda and stir in flour. Mix in any additions (below).
Spread into prepared pan. Bake at 325° 20-25 minutes, or until set in the middle
Cool on rack before cutting them.
* 1/2 to 1 cup chopped nuts, toasting them first for even better flavor
* 1/2 to 1 cup chocolate chips
* 1/2 teaspoon mint extract in addition to or in place of the vanilla
* 1/2 cup mashed bananas
* 1/4 cup bourbon, scotch or other whiskey; increase the flour by one tablespoon
* 2 tablespoons of espresso powder with the vanilla
* Stir 1/2 cup dried fruit, especially dried cherries, into the prepared batter